Super thick HV cable

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Joshua Turbyfill

Super thick HV cable

Post by Joshua Turbyfill »

I have this super thick cable (I believe its from an X ray machine but i'm not sure). Its 3/4" thick and 9.5 feet long.

Does anyone have any idea what its voltage rating could be and how much its worth?

Thanks.
20200203_191833 crop.jpg
20200203_185502 crop.jpg
John Futter

Re: Super thick HV cable

Post by John Futter »

At least 70kV
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Like John said... 70kv ....And, are you planning on selling it? What's it worth??!!

Copper value about 40 cents at any scrap yard...
If you buy this length from a scrap yard cutting it off gear found there, expect to pay about $1.00....
As a chopped off hunk of x-ray cable on e-bay... Only as much as some unknown person is willing to pay for it.
I have this exact silicone supple cable, about 10 feet of it, from a hamfest....I paid $5.00.
The new cable, retail by a supplier who will sell it in only a 25 foot roll perhaps $200 or more for the roll.

As you can see, the price and value varies a lot.

The right idiot in grave and immediate need would easily pay maybe $50 for it, so that he doesn't have to wait about for such a rarity to appear and is too lazy, but well funded, to scrounge for it.

It is great for fusor work provided the user/buyer knows how to connect it to his/her system.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Joshua Turbyfill

Post by Joshua Turbyfill »

Yeah someone wants to buy it.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”