X-Ray Problems.

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Alan Sailer

X-Ray Problems.

Post by Alan Sailer »

'm finding myself puzzled with the radiation levels in my set-up.

I've been learning the set-up running deuterium and at some point during adjusting the voltage/pressure
on the system the counter goes through the roof. Much greater than 10mR/hour. Pegs the meter so I can't tell exactly.

After earlier tests on the system I was alarmed by the radiation levels and ordered a 12X36 inch sheet of 0.062 " (1.6 mm)
and constructed a radiation shadow. But the levels behind the screen are still alarming.

I don't have time to get good data on anything because my counter is just screaming. Voltage is in the low 20kV
range and pressure around 10mTorr. I'm using a sensitive Ludlum 44-3 scintillation counter that is
designed for 10-60KeV photons.

Unless I get some clarity on this issue I'm going to call it a day. Seeing neutrons is not worth hurting myself.

Are these kind of x-ray levels typical?

Cheers.
John Futter

Re: X-Ray Problems.

Post by John Futter »

Alan
x-rays get absorbed and bounce off high density materials
I have had x-rays get around two right angle corners out of an E-Beam annealer.
Also my high voltage implanter at work shone back down on me
heavy concrete walls all around but open to above, --x-rays reflected down off the roof
suntan territory at 150 millisievert/ hr so shielding went above the implanter as well
http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/v ... f=45&t=757.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

This not worth delving into in a post that will be lost a year from now, but the inverse square law will help more than any shielding. (Of course, 10mrem/hr is not so bad)
Regardless of shielding, how long will you be there working at full voltage?? Working a fusor is going to get you some rads to the nads.
Fusion should never be attempted by any living being who is afraid of a wee bit old good old fashion x-radiation and nuclear radiation. This is not a workplace where you are bathed in radiation 8 hours a day. Precautions taken in a workplace are ridiculous around a fusor.

Crosses are going to pump out more X-radiation than a spherical fusor. I have never used a shield of any sort around my 40+kev fusor. the x-ray producing window beams into the concrete floor. I use an ion chamber at my seat and it records about 1-2mrem/hr when running at full blast. Still here and healthy after 19 years at it.

My latest FAQ on this issue. In the FAQ I give a link to my original FAQ on X-rays.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12031

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Richard,

Thanks for the links. I have read through these and other threads and still have some confusion.

One that you may be able to clear up. I have read post where you talk about the idea of "breakthrough" (I may have the exact term wrong).
It is implied that at some certain voltage (depending on the type of fusor) the x-rays suddenly dramatically increase in intensity. This has me confused.

As far as I understand, x-ray penetration is a logarithmic effect. At no thickness of absorber can you stop all the x-rays. It's exponential with the tail decaying to
a (hopefully) insignificant level. The term breakthrough implies that at some voltage the transparency of the fusor walls suddenly changes,
emitting a radically higher flux of photons.

Obviously with the time you have spent working with fusor you are seeing some sort of effect. I just cannot understand what it is.

Am I misunderstanding your meaning?

Cheers.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The term is "shine through". The dangerous higher energy X-rays will at some point, be effectively seeing the shell of the fusor as being transparent, (virtually no attenuation). The flesh burning rays of up to 15kv or less are pretty much fully absorbed. I get zero reading touching the shell of my fusor at 20kv with my victoreen ion chamber. At about 25-30 KV the reading at the same point is about 5 mrem, this is zero worry at 6-7 feet distant and is unreadable at that point. At 40 kv applied very near the shell it reads 10-15 mrem. Again, no problem at range. In the region of the window near my camera I get over 250mrem/hr in a more or less beamed into the floor blast. At 3 feet from the window near the floor it is down to about 10-30 mrem.

The key is that at the seat for controlling the fusor 6-7 feet away I do read 1-2mrem/hour. A 0-200 mrem dosimeter worn by me has never registered visibly off the zero mark after a couple of hours at the fusor doing fusion. At this range I am bathed in the most penetrating of x-rays and the dosimeter reads zero.

You are right, the absorption is logarithmic but the thick steel shell absorbs a tremendous amount of the x-rays of lower intensity. As I plan to move to the cross, I am a little more concerned.

Maybe someone with a cross and working it hard, and who owns a Dosimeter and or an ion chamber might report to us. Jon are you out there?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Richard,

Understood.

A friend of mine has loaned me an old survey meter that actually reads in mR/H. My present counters are mostly
CPM and I am beginning to suspect be way more sensitive than required. I'm hoping that I have been metaphorically
listening too hard for my own good. It's just hard to concentrate on operating a fusor when my radiation detectors
are screaming at me.

I'll play with the survey meter some time soon and see what it says. he also has some old ion chamber units that
he can get me at a later date.

Cheers.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Just make sure the survey meter is an ion chamber type device. These used to be called "cutie pies" back in the day.

I attach a couple of images.

Richard Hull
Attachments
ion survey1.jpg
ion survey1.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
ion survey2.jpg
ion survey2.jpg (9.09 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
ion survey.jpg
ion survey.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Richard,

Beggars can't be choosers. He gave me an old CB V-700.

I can't wait to find out why this meter is no good for this task.:-)

Cheers.
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Richard,

No need to tell me that the V-700 is a piece of crap and under-reports the x-ray dose. Mark Rowley told me.

So I ordered a Micron DMC 3000 dosimeter from Ebay. If this is not the right tool for radiation safety
measurements then I give up.

Cheers.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I simply had my Geiger counter and an exposure ion Pen (one that can be worn) calibrated by a company that does that for a modest price. Felt my health and safety was worth the cost. Both items on e-bay cost under $100 total so, even though cheap, they were proven and calibrated. So they provided exact values on the x-ray threat. For my system at 32 kV and 4 mm steel shell, nether device read anything but background levels.
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Dennis,

I am hoping the dosimeter I bought will provide reassuring numbers.

I am sure that my fusor is not generating x-rays that violate the laws of physics
and killing me and everyone in the neighborhood. I just want to see and understand what is going on
with my own instruments.

In a way I feel like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

"This Ludlum 44-3 NaI(Tl) scintillator detector is showing my fusor is too hot. This CD V-700 survey meter is showing my fusor is too cold."

I'm hoping the final line is "This Micron DMC 3000 is showing my fusor is just right".

Bleeh.

Cheers.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

If that is the yellow ion chamber CDV-700, those are made to read only following a total nuclear exchange of 1500++ hydrogen bombs between Russia and the U.S. Otherwise, they will not read much of anything. If they read at all, to the first little tiny tick mark or notch on the lowest scale, run...run...run. Scintillators should never be used around a fusor they will only frighten you to death. They will count mouse farts. Scintillators are great for finding moderately rich U specimens under 2 feet of soil.

Richard Hull
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Richard,

I know intellectually that my system is safe enough. I have not invented any new laws of physics and
dozens if not hundreds have done this before me.

Emotionally having that scintillation counter just scream at me was a very un-nerving experience.
I'm already on edge with HV, vacuum pump turbo whine and having my instruments (convectron gauge
and HV meter) blank out on me from EMI. Too much data at once.

So getting the radiation danger understood and behind me is a goal.

No mice. But the cat farts are well logged at this point.

Cheers.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”