Dallas Maker Space setup progresses

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
russssellcrow

Dallas Maker Space setup progresses

Post by russssellcrow »

We're approaching our first data runs. The setup progresses. We're electrolyzing water for Hydrogen, to vacuum test, set pressure equilibrium, then strike a plasma.
20200215_061052.jpg
20200215_061106.jpg
20200215_061128.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Dallas Maker Space setup progresses

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice demo setup. That ion gauge is not necessary on a demo device and is in danger of being sort of gummed up if operated at full voltage below 10e-4 torr. You will not kill it but just sayin'. Demo stuff only needs a Thermocouple gauge with just a mechanical pump. The ion gauge is normally for reading ultra low vacuums of 10e-4 to 10e-8 torr. Good luck on your effort. A very nice star mode with atmospheric gases will be seen at about 10e-2 torr, (10 microns), once the chamber gets conditioned with a geodesic type grid. I attach an image of my old fusor II taken back in 1997. (bell jar) ** note: See the bright spots where the beams hit the glass. These will heat tremendously at these spots and endanger the glass bell jar device to implosion if left there too long.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Star at about 10kv, 10ma, ~10 microns of air. circa 1997
Star at about 10kv, 10ma, ~10 microns of air. circa 1997
fusor2star.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Robert Virkus

Post by Robert Virkus »

I'd like to ask the mechanism to generate the heat you mentioned. What is the typical power dissipated through the plasma jets in the walls. Thanks.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Focused Ion/electron beam heating. I left the bell jar after I believe, but have no evidence of, doing fusion in the system a month later and observing two flakes of glass blow completely free of the walls in my bell jar after the glass heated to orange white heat at those spots! Stupid, stupid..... Never, ever again! I immediately went to work on fusor III in Stainless steel.

If you take a demo up to star mode, watch the beam impact points. Local spot heating is murder

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Ion/electron beams did this to my viewport:

IMG_20190713_160425.jpg

I'd hate to see that happen to a bell jar under vacuum.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

"He who stares into the eye of the Gorgon shall die"

Quote from Forbidden Planet movie 1950's.

Glass also dies as the Gorgon beams his lethal electron-ionic intent upon it.

Richard Hull
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Robert
please follow this sites rules
which you agreed to when registering

1./as to your name

2./ where your first post should be

Return to “Images du Jour”