FUJ-219 Magnetically Assisted Ionization fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Maciek Szymanski

Re: FUJ-219 Magnetically Assisted Ionization fusor

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

Today I’ve cleaned up the back side of the seam (outside of the chamber) and placed the back seam on both halves of the chamber. I’ve also layed out the positions of port holes according to the drawing and prepared the flange for the diffusion pump connection.
Now I have to find the way to swap the milling machine table with the double pivot universal one for boring the inclined holes.

Laying out the chamber centerline:
BB93B11B-E2E1-49E3-A4E3-C60E96257D15.jpeg

Laying out the ports:
3A9F0217-9B9B-49E4-BBC3-951E1D9D4CA6.jpeg
Chamber with back seam placed an the diff pump flange:
B3F8997E-E9A3-49DE-975F-85101229E8CD.jpeg
Last edited by Maciek Szymanski on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Doing major machine mounting changes can be tough and time consuming to do one particular job. Finally, you realize you have to put the machine back into the "normal" manner of use once you are done. More trouble and hassles. But, it has to be done to proceed. Thanks for the continued updates and discussion on what you must do to keep moving on in the effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Maciek Szymanski

After quite a long break (I’ve to do some work at my apartment, move my lathe form friend’s workshop to my garage and spend a week in Prague setting up the measurement system for a p-b laser fusion experiment.) I’ve returned to building the fusor. Finally the simplest tools proven to be the best. A hand drill,a cold chisel and some good files made the work faster than messing up with mill setup. Tomorrow I hope to weld the lower part and pump down the bare chamber.

Drilling out the opening perimeter with a hand drill may look very tedious in the times of 3D laser cutters and water jets, but if you have an old, heavy, high geared drill and the cobalt drill bit for stainless steel it takes half an hour including cleaning up with a good sharp file.
1B97EA63-55AB-4895-B38E-547A8462AF33.jpeg

Lower part of the chamber with all the ports ready for fitting and alignment before welding.
DE3BDA91-6746-4873-9AA3-87936E72C4B8.jpeg

Upper part with cathode installed. The shielding of the cathode stem is not in place yet.
DE38E204-6BFB-42A2-A7FD-4931F44011F7.jpeg
529A8A56-EDFC-46A9-A47D-87E7D530D095.jpeg

Cathode as seen through the viewport:
2498D9A1-3749-4FDD-8B50-2AA7F8E57B03.jpeg

The look along the magnetic ionization line.
267B2511-8367-4300-A3DA-D6624924B623.jpeg
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Your effort and reporting are quickly becoming the finest amateur fusor implementation and presentation ever seen over the 22 years of Fusor.net! Your abilities are many! The admission that common tools are often the best or a last resort for those not immediately equipped or have access to top level machining is important to others here. Falling back on common tools is no disgrace and often the only way to be sure of special fittings via careful attention to detailed work.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your amazing effort. We all look forward to your doing fusion with your device. Going slow really shows in the beauty of the finished product.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Makiek,

Beautiful work and photography, well done on trying something new.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Maciek Szymanski

Than you very much for your kind appreciation. Personally I’ve much more reserve to this design and expect quite rough road ahead. Anyway I’ve finished welding and assembled the thing with all the ports blanked so the leak hunt can start:

35D61628-CBA8-4742-ADFF-8205CFB07C27.jpeg

By the pure luck an old x-ray scattering fixture was disassembled at my workplace and it’s chassis turned to be a part of a series production vacuum pump unit SP300E form Unitra Unima:

4BB6E928-615D-48FC-9C9C-CD13A7C077C8.jpeg

The chassis was few times modified and incomplete but originally it housed a vacuum system identical to the one I’m using, so I was able to put my system into the chassis giving a very neat and clean setup:
E765F1A5-C4CF-40AA-9A32-43DD9FFAF67C.jpeg
The vacuum system consist of:
  • BL8 rotary vane pump,
  • oil vapor trap,
  • two foreline solenoid valves for diff pump and bypass pumping,
  • vacuum canister (so the backing pump may be turned off for at las 30min with diff pump running),
  • PDO300 water cooled diffusion pump,
  • water cooled baffle (with provision for LN cooling),
  • electromagnetic 100mm gate valve,
  • electromagnetic vent valve,
  • two TC senders (for forevacumm and main chamber),
  • ionization sender,
  • BS100 control unit,
  • PW12 high vacuum meter.
The control unit allows manual control of pumps and valves, has meter to read two TC vacuum gauges (and cold cathode high vacuum one - known to be unreliable, so I’m using the external hot cathode unit) and has a bunch of TTL circuits to provide interlocks (i.e. turns off the diff pump when there is no flow of cooling water) and allows fully automatic operation with set points adjusted with potentiometers inside the unit.

So let the leak hunt begin!
42DC2602-1BAC-40EB-9C70-0EE166135EB9.jpeg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Luck and slow builds often allow for great opportunities to unfold as one builds a fusor system. This is a nice looking cabinet for your fusor!
Good luck with the leak tests. These are always a bear to get through.

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”