Research facility construction

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dan Knapp

Re: Research facility construction

Post by Dan Knapp »

Is that a fire truck in the photo?
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Or maybe an explosive carrying truck?
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Yes that is a fire truck in the photo actually a foam unit with a separate 80 hp engine for the pump and compressor
not mine no1 sons folly
solar pay back is quite quick i get US$0.07 per kW/Hr from the utility co. I expect around 120kwhrs /day or more cost is approx US$12,000 for the entire setup direct from china
https://www.yangtze-solar.com/
so payback is around 4 years or even quicker if i factor in the cost from the utility of US$0.19 per kw hour of my use
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I hate to think what a totally suitable solar system with battery storage, inverters, etc. will cost for an outbuilding to store tractors and farm implements, plus supply a lab section.

However, if you have the bread, spend it....You can't take it with you. Frank Sanns has experience in this of late. Much depends on daily needs and short term high demands and many other things. A kilowatt or two short demand should not be outrageously expensive. Over 10KW of regular demand? ....Get out your checkbook.

Very high energy, short term, irregular demand might just be best served by a propane powered Genrac system for a lot less.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Nathan Marshall

Post by Nathan Marshall »

Dennis:
I look forward to seeing your progress with this new lab build. I can't wait for the day when I can afford a place of my own with a dedicated lab space, but that will be a number of years down the road. Your thesis work sounds quite interesting. It definitely piques the curiosity of my chemistry side. What sort of equipment is required for this work? Will the lab have a fume hood or are there no dangerous gasses involved with your experiments?
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Nathan, hello and thanks for your previous work and posts.

I have almost two weeks before the supplies will be delivered; it will be dwarfed by John's impressive facility. It will only be 10 by 12, with 7 ft. ceilings.

As for my thesis research, some aspects are proprietary (for obvious reasons) but the thesis itself was published (as required) and is in the public domain - what it shows are my results and background theory; however, the fact that I can convert any glass phase into a compound that has superior tensile properties to Al was both a surprising and frankly, unexpected discovery on my part. I was trying to make a stronger material and one that vastly increased its overall toughness of the glass phase. It far exceeded those expectations.

It requires no fume hoods and isn't too difficult to achieve nor require dangerous chemicals/glasses or materials or extreme equipment - just a furnace (to melt glass) and hot rolling mill (yes, those aren't everyday pieces of equipment but easy to obtain.) I start by creating a laminated metal with glass and then hot roll them into multiple layer composites - a unique invention in of itself (both the laminate and process.) I can increase the glass phase content to over 95% and still keep all the metal like tensile properties. The process is simple, cheap and creates a material that normal cutting tools can be used to cut and shape.

For instance, my sapphire based glass/metal laminate can be cut by an ordinary bandsaw blade - don't try that on a sapphire plate. But is far stronger than any Al alloy, offers superior tensile and bend strength properties and is nearly as tough/fracture tough. While it isn't transparent aluminum (heard that joke) it is the next best thing.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, have nearly all the required building material - windows, electrical componets/wire/shingles/plumbing and this massive pile of lumber (see pic.)

I need to go and get a half dozen 80 lbs concrete bags and finish the support foundation but for a few days, I have to finish an addition to my home: a small wash room addition; that project is on going (footer has set, and partially done with the new foundation blocks) and will take a few more days to finish building the building and do all interior work.

Then I will begin construction of the shed/lab - weather looks good, 90's temp and 70+ humdity. Well, I do like steam baths ... .

Of course, the special tongue and grooved floor panels I need to first paint with sealant and let dry ahead of time, are on the very bottom of the wood pile ;)
Attachments
Required lumber & panels
Required lumber & panels
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Well of course they put the stuff you need, first, on the bottom to insure you have to handle all the wood on top several times before using it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Nicker

Post by Nicker »

Am I the only one that wants a nice underground section for the fusor?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, Nick, you probably are the only person that might desire an underground location. There is no real reason for it of course.

Richard Hull
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Unless Nick figures out how to replicate Doug's "Gonzo" mode and will need a lot of neutron shielding.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Wow, underground! That's serious fusion work, indeed.

My more humble future shed/glorified research facility finally has a real base to build upon - literally. Due to limits on the orgianl start on the foundation, the building will be 9 ft by 12 ft. As can be seen in the photo I've finished the foundation (ugh) and installed the floor. All underside lumber has been painted - just ran out of paint so not all the upper floor is painted yet. Of course, the walls/windows/door, roof and many services will need to still be done but having a square, level and solid foundation & floor are the essential first steps to build an above ground ( ;) ) facility. Of course, it is well away from the house so if by some chance, I too get a strange flair I think it being above ground will be ok - just maybe not for the operator ( ;) )

Interestingly (to no one, really) I ran out of all my treated lumber, screws, wood glue and cement finishing this thing - wish I could claim excellent planning but obviously, the exact opposite is really the truth; cutting things that close is almost always a recipe for aggravating extra trips to the lumber store; too often, repeat ones at that.
Attachments
Foundation with installed floor; built to take some weight
Foundation with installed floor; built to take some weight
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

OK, more progress - got the walls partly up and hung the door. So it is coming together - glad the heat and humdity weren't killers today. I'll add the windows tomorrow if I have time and weather permits. I decided to go with extra high ceilings - both for equipment room, and ease to install outer wall panels (being lazy helps.) Once more, after I got more screws (and paint) I started work and after getting to this point - had one screw left - again, not planning correctly. Next time - jumbo size. Still, reached my limit on construction, anyway.
Attachments
The building is taking shape
The building is taking shape
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Further progress - walls are complete; need a roof (wood, shingles, vinyl siding) and add windows. Then paint and the exterior is essentially finished. That is a lot still to do but progress is how it gets done.
Need to get the roof mostly up tomorrow before it rains - not likely (the former, not the later.)
Decided on a pitch to make roof beams easy to cut - must admit, this building phase was far harder than I thought but went more smoothly than I expected. So, guess the roof will be the opposite; through I recently replace half the roof on my home (all new beams, panels besides shingles) so I consider myself a bit more experienced in that area of building. Guess that means I will have a really hard time.
Attachments
Building, foundation and no roof
Building, foundation and no roof
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work, thus far! You may come to regret not putting up the roof trusses first. With weather, I think I would have done the roof first at least to the tar felting covering. In that manner, you can continue work in the rain and shingle last. Wiring is typically last, but that is a matter of choice as is all construction when done by an individual. Out of curiosity, what anchors your base 2X4s to the concrete? I looked for the classic high strength, "L" bolt anchors typically set into the concrete, but could not seem to locate them in the image.

Richard Hull
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Both good points and catches - I see you are an old hand in construction.

The reason I delayed the roof structure is I felt that I had to strengthen the wood frame first by installing the wall panels for shear strengthening. I was concerned that the then frame structure might have trouble handling the roof weight without the wall panels installed. However, the remaining stud work and the panel install took far longer than I thought and was more difficult. So my plan to get the roof up that day was beyond me. I'm not sixty anymore and just can't handle 12 hours of constant construction in the sun like I use too. ;)

Another issue, when I finished the remaining concrete work the previous week, having no design yet for the building other then size (being trained as a physicist (concepts), rather than an engineer (designer), I do tend to have that issue in my projects.) As such, I had no idea where the door (or even the door type; singel/double or both!) would be located and this would impact my anchor locations. So currently the building has no standard anchors at all - I just glued the wood to the concrete in a few places (using the special concrete glue they sell.)

I do have proper anchors on hand but these are the type that must have holes drilled into the concrete first. I absolutely dread doing that type of work (the impact drills are murder on me). So I put that task on hold. Having proper anchors near the doorway is essential and will have to be addressed. Also, much of the foundation was laid years ago so I did not install any anchors then since I didn't have any specific building plan at that time (also, I wanted to park cars on it for car repairs. Anchors would be an issue.)

I will build the roof frame today and hopefully get it covered before it rains tonight; but I really need to anchor the frame this week - the building is well shielded from any winds via many small trees too close. So for now, that isn't a critical job till the roof is covered by panels.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, the roof is up (no shingles and no significant tar paper - just the crown.) Far too much in a day. Thank goodness I have scaffolding - without the inside and outside stuff it would have been far too difficult to complete in a day.

No more for a few days as I recover ... . Too much hard labor for these few days time but I did beat the weather. If it was a kit, been far easier and much faster but I was too cheap to spring for that ...not sure now if that was a good idea; no, definitly would not do that again. Precut kits are worth it.

Hopefully, the weekend will be ok and I can then do the shingles and anchor system.
Attachments
Roof system - far from leak proof but will do for now
Roof system - far from leak proof but will do for now
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Good work! Now pray for no significant sustained winds or heavy gusts until you have the building firmly anchored into the concrete.

Richard Hull
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Dennis
I do not want to hear you say
"We are not in Kansas now Toto"

maybe a bolt or two to stop it going to Oz
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

LOL - no winds so far; I'll anchor this weekend.

Well, weather cleared and I managed to do half the roof (tar paper, edge trim and shingles)- the half in the (mostly) shade; otherwise, I think I'd have melted. The other half waits till better weather (clouds!)

A bird was none to happy with me - they wanted it as a possible nesting site; told them it was to be closed up too soon for that to work. They're spoiled since I feed them and do provide nesting sites. Ditto for the Chipmonks but at least they just want to use my rock retainer walls to raise their young. Maybe I'll name the second Chipmonk "Toto, too" ... ;)

Besides giving me a place to get my fusors up and running, along with my laminate research, I've learned a valuable lesson constructing this 'facility' - I had planed on building a small semi-glassed enclosure addition to my home for morning breakfasts. NOT happening!
Attachments
First half of the roof shingled - more area than I thought ...brutal when the Sun came out
First half of the roof shingled - more area than I thought ...brutal when the Sun came out
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, finished the roof just in time. Started to rain as I did the last row of shingles. Nice compared to the earlier sunshine. Thunder started as I finished - luckily, computers track lighting and cells.

Tomorrow, I'll anchor the place and start on installing one of the two window assemblies. Then I plan on trenching and installing the 220/50 amp power line via std plastic piping.

Hopefully, I'll also Install the breaker box tomorrow.

I have a large LED light - so a ceiling will be up after these tasks tomorrow; hopefully, by next week I'll have all the wall insulation, and wiring installed with outlets/switches and have power/lights.
Attachments
Shingles are done so I have a dry work area to use
Shingles are done so I have a dry work area to use
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

You still have that area above the door to get enclosed, as wind driven rain will still get inside at this point.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

You are correct but why I haven't yet covered those regions is that those are currently my best source of light for the interior. That is why I'm pushing so hard to install power and a light as well as one of the windows. I already have vinyl slats and wood panels to cover those openings as well as the side roof openings.

I will say that building this future 'research facility' is fun as far as doing something that is "science related". But till now I just didn't fully appreciated exactly how much finish work goes into building a remote house-like structure - like dry walling the ceiling and interior side walls nor about the heater/AC unit install much less the water - ugh. If it was to be a shed it would almost be done (except for your exact point.)

Update: Trenching done, 220 volt with its protective pipe enclosure installed. Grass reinstalled (lol.) Realize I need to paint the building before installing any windows or cutting/installing said power line through the wall, so that is next. Then window gets added; finally, anchors. If I am still able to move after cooking in the Sun, maybe start enclosing the roof areas. This research stuff was sure easier when I was a grad student and all I needed to do for experiments was get equipment, modify it and ready to go.

Next update: The building is painted and I added the first window. Working on the second one.
Attachments
Detail of power line (220 v AC; 50 amp cable from house)
Detail of power line (220 v AC; 50 amp cable from house)
Window on the south side for light and air flow (door is on north side.)
Window on the south side for light and air flow (door is on north side.)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Well, between heavy rain and high temps/humdity finished enclosure work; the vinyl siding was more work than I remember the last time I used that stuff.

Need to work on framing the ceiling so I can install the room LED light, wiring, and switch but too hot right now. Breaker box is installed and wired into the main cable that connects to my home breaker box. Taking a break ....

Took down outside scaffolding and here is the south side.
Attachments
Southside; lower left side is the underground power cable in its housing entering the building
Southside; lower left side is the underground power cable in its housing entering the building
Final window installed as well; small but does have a screen
Final window installed as well; small but does have a screen
Research Facility exterior mostly complete; also need a door entry way platform
Research Facility exterior mostly complete; also need a door entry way platform
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Much of the ceiling framing is done (think I'll add a small 'attic' and access for storage.) Now that nearly all major outside construction is finished my rapid pace needs to end (also, just too sore ;) ). So, from this point I will work much more slowly building the interior - wiring/outlets, water access, insulation, dry wall, floor tiling, painting and environmental (AC/heat) install (that is still a long list! Thought I was nearly done building ... oh well.)

The difference between a shed and a real Research 'building' (even if it is just a larger size than most sheds) are the facilities inside; and that means a lot of extra work.

Since these installs will be spread out over a number of weeks and until finished, I see no point in anymore progress photo's until I get these essential but 'secondary' jobs done (besides, a few other projects that were sidelined due to this project and still need my attention, now, need to be addressed. Not everyone is happy I spent so many hours the last week or so focused on this sole project.)

Besides, I look forward to seeing other peoples fascinating projects and results here!

Return to “Images du Jour”