Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
caden_Burkhardt

Re: Caden Burkhardt-Fusor Progress

Post by caden_Burkhardt »

8/31/20- bought TC gauge and readout
Robert Virkus

Post by Robert Virkus »

Hello Caden,

You have probably thought through all the safety issues but if you have not, please make sure you don't accidentally generate some dangerous X-rays!

Thanks,

Robert
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

As for x-rays, as Richard points out - distance is one's friend when the fusor is running.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Robert
While we are at it
could you please edit your profile so that you are Robert Virkus as the rules state not just Robert
Thank you
Robert Virkus

Post by Robert Virkus »

I was doing an X-ray experiment while a student in physics and I was deeply engrossed in thought and I just walked right around the shielding like an idiot right up to the device without thinking when it was full on so I know it's possible to defeat safety protocols.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Running a fusor at home requires essentially zero margin for error when it comes to high voltage; sure, the x-ray radiation is dangerous (and need not be with careful design) but a short exposure is highly unlikely to cause long term health issues, much less death. Not so with the power supply - one mistake and death is instantaneous. Rethink doing this if you feel that you cannot follow strict procedures without failure.
caden_Burkhardt

Post by caden_Burkhardt »

9/5/20-Tc gauge readout arrive-analog with two set points
9/11/20- Tc gauge arrived
9/13/20- Hooked up the tc gauge to my chamber and ran a preliminary vacuum test. I got my chamber down to 100 mTorr
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0376.jpg
I'm yet to do a plasma run with my new vacuum gauge but I hope to do so, record the data and compare it to the visual vacuum gauge FAQ
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Is your chamber only reaching 100 microns or is that the gauge giving an inaccurate reading? Try the gauge just on the pump head and that will tell you: first, if the gauge is likely accurate; second, whether your chamber is leaking or not.

Return to “Images du Jour”