Demo Fusor Progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Rich Feldman

Re: Demo Fusor Progress

Post by Rich Feldman »

Another thumbs-up here.

Following on Dennis's suggestion, about plasma color.
The color difference between deuterium and hydrogen is detectable only with high spectral resolution instruments.
So you don't need to buy heavy water or PEM cells.
Preparation of hydrogen gas has been in school chemistry curriculum since 19th century.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11204&p=80262

Could also try helium, argon, etc. Would not be the first time those colors were reported here.

Regarding NST output with rectification.
It'd be educational to set it up so you can switch between AC, grid negative, and grid positive.
Does the plasma glow configuration on AC look like the sum of the negative and positive configurations?
If so, can you show that they appear alternately in time? (Practice with a neon glow lamp.)
Last edited by Rich Feldman on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate the feedback and ideas! Despite the thickness of the borosilicate cylinder and relatively low vacuum, I am very hesitant to add much else. The idea behind starting off with the glass chamber was so that my son and I could literally see what we were doing and how all of the parts fit together. I have been making purchases of parts (when prices were right) in order for us to assemble a stainless steel vacuum chamber. I am having a blank flange drilled and another one tapped so that we can replicate this demo fusor, but with stainless steel housing. The feedthrough will be secured with epoxy rather than the JB Weld. The stainless steel chamber will not have the analog gauge on top, but rather will connect to a micron gauge running between the hose fitting on the chamber and the vacuum pump. I think it will be a little cleaner that way, and definitely reduce the risk of implosion. Since our ultimate goal is fusion, I really like your idea of beginning to build some of the other components, such as the deuterium set up, so that it can be tested and ready when we get to that point. Here is a picture of the stainless steel parts we have purchased. The flanges with the openings have the glass. The 6-way cross is going to be for the fusor. We have 2 other blanks that are being drilled out for us.
Attachments
IMG_0556.jpg
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't — you're right." Henry Ford
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Rich's idea on using water in a standard cell is a good idea but if you use a fuel cell, distilled or if possible, de-ionized water is essential for its continued operation.
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Rich, thanks for the feedback and ideas! I would love to take some time to explore some of the ideas you have proposed and be able to really consider the results! Thanks!
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Hello everyone, I have been posting updates to the demo fusor project that my son, TJ, and I have been completing. Friday night, we did an initial trial run and I am pleased to say that I consider it to be a success! We built this system using the Make Magazine version so that we could literally see how everything worked together. The vacuum is created using a Ritchie Yellow Jacket 2-stage pump handling 8 CFM. The power is supplied by a 15kV NST that we wired, and is connected to a variac. The inner grid is 1mm stainless steel wire that has been TIG welded. To safely operate the system, we used a “clear” (although a bit cloudy) plastic bin with openings for the vacuum hose and a video camera connected to my computer (the physics book on the bin is to weigh it down). Although we are not creating fusion, I still included our Ludlum geiger counter as a way of instilling safety practices in our work, especially since fusion is ultimately our goal.

For the next iteration of the demo fusor, we will be constructing the chamber using a stainless steel tee with a viewport, and copper tubing for the vacuum hose. The eventual goal is to produce an actual fusor in a stainless steel 6-way cross, but we are trying to take small steps along the road to fusion, buying parts along the way when we find them for a good price, and learning as much as we can as we go.

I have attached several pictures showing our set up and plasma. The pictures of the chamber appear cloudy because they are taken through the plastic bin. I welcome any insight or thoughts!
Attachments
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0619.JPG
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work in a father son project. We like to see this family involvement and support. I have logged you into the plasma club.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thank you Richard, we are very excited about becoming members of the Plasma Club!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Congratulations on your build and entry into the plasma club.

I guess building a proper fusor body is your next step?
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thanks Dennis! Our plan is to convert the concepts and parts into a stainless steel tee for the chamber. Essentially, we are looking to do the same thing that we did, but with the tee and a viewport in lieu of the borosilicate glass cylinder. We will also eliminate the gauge on the top as it really is not serving any purpose. I would like to run a copper line between the chamber and the vacuum pump with a micron gauge in between. All of the other parts will remain the same. I just am weary to run the demo fusor with the glass chamber, but it definitely helped us to better visualize what was happening. I am scouring ebay and other sites for the parts to eventually make a functioning fusor, and have a 6-way stainless steel cross that we intend to use.
Attachments
IMG_0556.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Be careful to properly ground the fusor and pump if connected with a metal pipe. I follow the star methodology as outlined in the FAQ. I also use a metal screen over the inlet port to my vacuum gauge to protect it from the plasma discharge (its on a port for the fusor); however, if the gauge is fairly fair down stream or there is a bend in the metal pipe, that wouldn't be necessary.
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thank you for the insight Dennis. I searched the FAQ's and was unable to find a reference to "star Methodology", and I do not want to ask about items that are already addressed in the forum. However, if I add flange that has a 45 degree bend, will that address the concern of adding a screen to the inlet port on the vacuum gauge? Also, what is the best way to ground the vacuum pump? Is changing the tube from braided rubber to copper a significant benefit in reducing potential for leaks? I'm assuming that a fully functioning fusor will need the metal plumbing so it would seem like a good time to get that started, but is this line of thinking correct? Thank you!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

There is a star grounding FAQ but in essence, it means all electrical equipment is connected via a common and known to be good grounding source.

Here is the relavent FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9968&p=75965&hilit ... und#p75965

This was harder to search for than I remember ... .

A few words of caution; the fusor body absoultely must be well grounded and properly connected with a wire and of adequate gauge for the input power( aside: I do a redundant ground on my system.) Also, if one uses an amp gauge setup that uses the fusor ground wire, it must be properly done to ensure that if the amp gauge falls, the fusor isn't then floating at a lethal voltage!

See: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4266

Of course, the power supply must have the correct grounding system.

Grounding a vacuum pump is trivial (most modern pumps have a three wire plug) but just run a wire from its metal case to your primary ground connection.

Again, I use a wire mesh over my TC inlet port (and that works great) but if one does that, a bend is not needed. But if one wants to avoid a screen or add extra protection for an expensive gauge, then adding a right angle bend would work well. Leaks are a fact of life in vacuum systems and dealing with them is part of the learning curve.

Rubber tubing on the mechanical pump to a diffusion pump or turbo has been used for years and while not great (inability to clean the tubing well, and they out gass more) is both common and compared to metal, rather low cost (the very thick rubber tubing, of course.) I use metal flex (stainless steel bellows type.) I found these cheap when sold used but they can fail and be a devil to find the leak. As for all other connections, KF or copper gaskets are the norm and best (safest) approch for the rest of the fusor vacuum system.
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thanks Dennis for providing the link! It makes perfect sense. The diagram was quite helpful to visualize it for me. It seems like it might be best to keep the vacuum hose with the braided rubber. For the fusor, I am thinking that I will run a 45 off the chamber. I have a lot of learning to do before I assemble a fusor, but I continue researching various areas to expand my knowledge, and acquire parts as needed if I find them at the right price. Thank you for your guidance and insight!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Your welcome but the thanks really belong to Richard who did so very much to figure all these critical things out and for making it available to all of us novices (like me.)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Looks like you might go the distance, jim, you will need to reclaim your plasma club member ship by the new rules. Looks like you only need a good gauge and a current meter and voltmeter.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”