My 'rig'

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
PazHeping

My 'rig'

Post by PazHeping »

IMG_3553.JPG
So, here is my rig. It's not much but I've tried to put as much care into it as possible. It's a variac into a neon sign transformer into a 4 stage half wave Cockcroft Walton. My test coil is a nicer version of a rig I was using when I just an Ion Wind guy (I've upgraded myself to a fusion nubie). I've powered it up and am getting some really long sparks but no corona. Thìnk I can solve that with a load resistor that's showing up tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I'm really happy to be part of this community and hope to join the plasma club. All the fun people are having here has inspired me to look into a vacuum pump. But first things first.

Btw, I'm running positive currently (no pun intended) just to get a feel for stuff as to how it relates to my Ion Wind experience. Hope to go neg soon though...
------
The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Richard Hull

Re: My 'rig'

Post by Richard Hull »

I hope you know you need a vacuum chamber. Not seen in your photo here. Also, the wood base will never work nor will the wood supports.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
PazHeping

Re: My 'rig'

Post by PazHeping »

Thank you Richard. I'm still struggling with power. Luckily wood is good for that though:) but yes... I'm missing a lot. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with my power, I'm getting a lot of arcing in my copper but no corona. I'm running positive and also atmospheric pressure so ,,, outside of the envelope for fusion I know. I'm coming from the Ion Wind camp and was getting good stuff with the high voltage power supplies from tasers. Now that I'm trying to get something serious I'm feeling way outside my comfort zone. Just ran some new tests with my load resistors in place and ... same troubles. Going to go through and read the FAQs again and maybe figure it out.

And again, thanks for the tips. Hoping to get my stuff a little more fusion directed as I progress.

Paz
------
The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Return to “Images du Jour”