Fusor construction questions

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Joshua Turbyfill

Re: Fusor construction questions

Post by Joshua Turbyfill »

Okay I'll build that then. I read in one of the faq's that arcing can be an issue. I have a thick copper wire wrapped around the main 8" cross which goes straight to ground on a wall outlet. Is there any risk of arcing destroying any of the equipment (Turbo, turbo controller, vacuum gauge, etc)? Also is there anything else I need to know before operating a 2.75" fusor?

Currently I've got a table about 12' from the fusor which has the variac for voltage control, a laptop for neutron monitoring, and a big screen showing 4 different cameras mounted on the reactor. I was intending to remotely operate it. Since the needle valve which admits deuterium and the bellows valve are manually operated, will I need to run the fusor standing next to it?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Wrap no bare wire around the cross for a Ground!! A proper ground is a copper tab or solder lug with a hole the size of one of the bolt threads placed under the bolt head and torqued down as part of a flange within the cross end plates. A wire is then secured to the copper lug mechanically and then soldered to it. This and this alone, is now a proper ground connection to the chamber. It may then be taken to a star point ground and the star point then connected to the mains ground.

The star point ground is explain in the power wsupply forum FAQ's.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Joshua Turbyfill

I'll change that then. Heres the new fusor. What do yall think?
20200202_154636-min.jpg
20200202_154610-min.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Beautiful and very impressive. We look forward to reports on operation.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Looks pretty impressive.

Have never seen a fusor wearing a crucifix before, even if I did pray the rosary during pumpdown.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I see you have two possible fusors chambers (a large diameter, and small); nice economy on pumping systems. Very professional system. If the cross is silver, are you trying activation, maybe?
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

I applaud the wireless connection of probe to HV feedthrough terminal. Did you modify the probe to read negative kV?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Joshua Turbyfill

Thanks guys. Haha no its not for activation I just thought it would be a nice touch.

Yeah so the big chamber I'll use as a demo fusor since its big and looks pretty cool with the turbo in the background.

For the probe I think someone told me to open it up and take the two wires on the inside and just swap which terminal they go to. That did the job.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”