NEW Fusor V build under way.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

NEW Fusor V build under way.

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:03 am

I pulled fusor IV out of retirement and am using it in a new configuration. This will be fusor V for all intents and purposes into the future, I hope. I have it under vacuum. Some small leak issues seem to be solved after 4 hours of pumping and adjustments. I attach images, (as usual, click on image to enlarge). I have not put on the camera or the gas lines with the new gas control leak situation. I will also alter my neutron detection system. There is much left to do...

I am working every day on this

Richard Hull
Attachments
FusorV 7.10 (3).JPG
FusorV 7.10 (2).JPG
FusorV 7.10 (6).JPG
FusorV 7.10 (4).JPG
FusorV 7.10 (8).JPG
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Mark Rowley

Re: NEW Fusor V build under way.

Post by Mark Rowley » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:56 am

Glad to see it taking shape Richard. Of all people, you should never be without an instantly operational fusor! :)

Mark Rowley

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 am

Mark, you are correct. I feel the pain of having no fusion of a decent nature since HEAS 2019. Compounding this is the horrid failure of that first iteration coupled with the death of my Turbo controller.

Like the phoenix all are rising from the flames of perdition. The turbo is fixed and fusor IV in new garb, backed by many new planned facilities will hopefully blossom as fusor V.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:26 am

Richard:

I remember that you calibrated your detectors using bubble dosimeters, and that they couldn't be moved afterwards in order to conserve that calibration.
Are you planning to redo the whole process or do you have something in mind?

As always, a superb effort.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 pm

I will have to find some form of calibration method, Yes. The neutron numbers are important.

Today I mounted the camera to the system. I am now making the lead shield shroud. X-rays are intense due to position of camera above 18kv.

Some photos

Richard Hull
Attachments
FusorV 7.11.20 Anno.jpg
FusorV 7.11.20 (3).JPG
FusorV 7.11.20 Anno1.jpg

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:24 pm

I'm still not sure why you can't use your former calibration of the neutron detection system. As long as you have recorded the exact distance the detector was from the center of Fusor IV, you can either place the detector at the same distance or use the inverse square law to calculate what you will measure at a new distance.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:53 pm

I am...was...might ditch the water moderator that has served so well since 2002. I used two separate BTI dosimeters two years apart to arrive at my final calibration factor which was 20X the CPM count per minute to equal the total n/s isotropic. Final count of 38,345 cpm on the 3He set up = 20 X 38,345 = 766,900 n/s isotropic.

If I do as I planned, I would purchase a custom cut group of HDPE pieces in a number of varying sizes and make up a far more usable combination neutron 3He moderator and element cooking "oven".
In the end I do have a recently calibrated Eberline neutron counter and with the count rate on a neutron run might convert the mr/hr reading on the instrument to neutron emission isotropic using the key feature that 1 mr/hr of thermalized fast neutrons is typically the result of 7-9 n/cm^2/sec. (I use 8)

From here it is a back figuring issue to derive n/s isotropic emission. I feel I have the skill. Ludlum calibrated the meter 2 years ago. $75.00

Thanks for asking Bob. Ditching to old calibrated neutron moderator system just means more work. the only maintenance needed was to make sure the water level was at the calibration level. 3 month in the summer would take almost 2 quarts of distilled water to put the tank back into calibration level.

It may be like fusor IV....Tear it down....only to come crawling back to the same type spherical system as a result of attempting to follow the 2.75 cross craze. If it ain't broke don't put effort into trying to fix it.

Richard Hull

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 am

Well, another day, another inch-worming towards getting 'er done. Field control toroid on insulator. I had to machine out a huge hole in the center, ruining John Freau's beautiful spun toroid for common Tesla coil work. John is the guy you will see every year at HEAS selling toroids. He spins these beauties on his home machine. John was there at Teslathon #1 and virtually all 30 October events since. I think he missed one year!

I am paranoid now about air or vacuum arcs after blowing up my Turbo controller due to a seventh of eighth arc in the abortive effort earlier this year. Thus, the field control issue on the insulator.

I spent about 4 hours on the pretty lead shield placed about the view port and video camera mount in an effort to save lives. (poor camera, takes it on the chin..., but still in the ring, however, after 16 years)
Look ma...No gloves. I had to cut and wrangle the old lead sheeting bare handed. In the end, I had gray hands and three small cuts. I work with lead a lot casting my own bullets for my 45-70.

Some more pix as I work the system up. First pix a bit fuzzy (old age shakes)

Richard Hull
Attachments
FusorV 7.12 (1).JPG
FusorV 7.12 (2).JPG
FusorV 7.12 (3).JPG
FusorV 7.12 (7).JPG

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:47 am

Impressive work and progress - protecting a turbo's delicate electronics is worth the effort but makes one better appreciate the old and trust worthy diffusion pumps -they take a licking and keep on ticking (old timers reference for the younger crowd); guess you'll be up and running for the meeting come Oct.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:35 am

Ah so you decided to replace the moderator for the neutron detector with a different type. Yes, in that case it's recalibrate from square one.

I never had a problem with arc overs killing the turbo controller. My two failures both happened while the high voltage was totally off and capacitance all discharged. One while it was idling over night (that was the worst, circuit board totally fried, was cheaper to get a replacement on EBay) The other when it blew the input rectifier on startup, at least that time it was an inexpensive repair.

If I make it to HEAS, i'll bring my REM ball and see what numbers it comes up with.

As I recall, Fusor IV was a bit of a "leaker". How is the progress on that front?
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.