Swagelok needle valves

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
teslapark

Swagelok needle valves

Post by teslapark »

Could anyone get me a part number for the needle valve that they use for deuterium bleed.

I wonder if anyone has found an "optimum" flow rate for D2; i'd imagine adjusting the flow rate while keeping the pressure pretty constant can be quite a chore for the typical amateur.

Adam Parker
Tom Dressel

Re: Swagelok needle valves

Post by Tom Dressel »

Nupro makes two classes of metering valves "M" series or medium leak, and "s" series for fine leaks.

I have a "M" series valve connected to the end of a 24" long, 0.005" ID capillary leak which provides fairly good pressure control. I can keep the pressure at ~5 microns with ease, and actually I have found that, at constant primary voltage, the grid voltage is a very good indicator of chamber pressure. Once the voltage gets to ~4KeV, I ride the voltmeter up to ~8 KeV, by closing the needle valve a little at a time.(the TC gauge will go from ~6 microns to ~4 microns)

Kurt J Lesker sells this valve part #SS-4MG, $153.00 for 1/4" Swagelok, and #SS-4MG-VCR, $217.00 for 1/4" VCR. I found mine, at a vacuum salvage dealer, it came along with the original Hummer V purchase, along with a bunch of other vacuum fittings, CF, KF and VCR.

If I had my choice I would prefer a finer control of pressure possibly with a "S" series valve part #SS-SS4 or SS-SVCR4. Either valve is probably going to require a capillary leak, and none of these valves can be used as shut-off valves (more $$$$$).

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”