Making Large Vacuum Chambers

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
ian_krase

Making Large Vacuum Chambers

Post by ian_krase »

Pipe tee fusors are all the rage nowadays, which is good because they are inexpensive to make without welding.

But sometimes, we want much larger chambers. Which typically are at least hundreds of dollars even used on Ebay.

Does anybody here have experience using pressure cookers, pressure pots, or similar non-vacuum chambers for high vacuum?
Richard Hull

Re: Making Large Vacuum Chambers

Post by Richard Hull »

We have had a couple of folks ask the same question, but they never demonstrated fusion in one or even went beyond the point your are merely positing now. Talk, but no action and no experimentation. We never heard from them again. Wanna be the first on your block? I would not hold out much hope of doing fusion this way.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

As is often the case, I'm not interested in specifically building a fusor. Though my requirements for hermeticity are arguably higher.

Meanwhile I have my own apprehension because the chamber types I am looking at still cost enough to not want to dive in blind (at the very least, would need to pay to attach KF40 flange to connect pump and another for gauge).

Herein lies the chicken or the egg problem.
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Just realized that my 9-years-idle transformer tank is bigger than must spherical fusor chambers.
A cylinder about 10 inches long and 6 inches in diameter.
50 micron pressure in test, with a not too fancy hose and rotary pump.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4050&p=21458
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Interesting. This makes me somewhat more optimistic -- one could substitute a heavy metal plate for the acrylic, and machine a conflat into it.
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Ian, you mentioned KF-40 plumbing.
Can adapt that to a flat baseplate without welding or precise machining; that's what bulkhead clamps are for.
Hole in plate needs to accomodate the flange detail of ordinary centering ring part. Hole saw time?
You can get disks of flat-machined aluminum plate from S and S, like Jerry said in another thread.
bulkhead.JPG
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Who's S and S?
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

There are entire industries using this kind of equipment. Lids are available with valves, viewports and the like. https://stainlesssteelexpress.com/produ ... gJRUPD_BwE
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

My son's original fusor vacuum chamber was a stainless Kitchenaid mixer bowl. The bowl was cylindrical with a half-sphere base. It made a great bell jar type chamber. The base plate was made with a flat, 3/8" aluminum plate with KF and swagelok fittings for feedthrough, gas, and instrumentation penetrations. JB weld sealed all penetrations. A piece of viton was trimmed for the gasket ring and high vacuum grease was applied. Kitchenaid mixing bowls have a dimple in the base. This dimple was cut out leaving a rounded rim. Another viton gasket and a small half inch thick square of borosilicate glass on the rim made a nice view port. The mixer tab was a good place to fix a ground wire.To pull vacuum, he would hold the whole thing tight until the roughing pump pull enough vacuum to hold itself. The heat of plasma helped condition the chamber, and he often saw 10-7 torr on an ion gage. I still haven't matched his vacuum success with my own chambers.

He made lots of neutrons with it until he went off to college.
Attachments
chamber burn.jpg
2012120295155538.jpg
2012120295155538.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 4283 times
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Back in the early 2000's I made one from the top portion of an air tank for scuba diving. I never hooked it up to a secondary pump but the roughing got it down to 15 or so mTorr.

Mark Rowley
Peter Schmelcher

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

I read someplace that cast aluminum is porous and outgasses so it is not good for high vacuum service.

I see 300mm diameter 304 stainless garden spheres sell for under $30 on ebay, for example item # 202737785286 or # 153647487022

This is china and who knows the quality or the wall thickness you will get.

food for thought
-Peter

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”