Newbie construction of chamber

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Kru Kimoto

Newbie construction of chamber

Post by Kru Kimoto »

Hi guys I’m 17 and have recently been very obsessed with the idea of building a fusion reactor I just registered on here and I need help figuring out how to do a lot of this stuff

I want to start by asking about the vacuum chamber

I am going with 2 6inch stainless steel hemispheres and then some 8inch flanges but what width do I use for the hemispheres would it be okay to use a 8th inch for the width of the metal for the hemispheres or do I need more like a half inch or quarter inch thickness for the hemispheres

Also where do you guys even find someone who produces hemispheres made of stainless I live in Las Vegas and not one person in town can make me hemispheres because it’s too hard so do you have any suggestions of where I can find the materials needed to make a reactor

Also how do you guys get windows in your fusion reactors is the glass super strong and do you use custom made flanges or something to fit glass in there but to also keep a tight seal

I am on a very tight budget and will take what I can get as long as I can build a fusion reactor in the end I’m happy with what info I can get now

I don’t want it imploding on me and then killing me hahahah so what do you guys think I should do and are there any good websites just full of good materials I can buy to get started with this

I am simply just confused and I need help figuring out all the components that it takes to make a fusion reactor so if someone could help me out that would be great
Liam David

Re: Newbie construction of chamber

Post by Liam David »

"Construction / Technical Do not post simple questions here. Use the New User Chat area" is the header of this section of the forums.

You haven't written an introductory post in the appropriate section and need to correct this. All your questions have been answered numerous times in the forums and FAQs especially. Take the time to do your research; no hand-holding here.
Kru Kimoto

Post by Kru Kimoto »

Hey sorry man I’ll do better with that just learning the ropes here so I apologize I’ll introduce my self and stuff
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

We just get many one-timers who do no more than add to the membership count. Not trying to scare you off and certainly keep the enthusiasm. Welcome to the forums!
Kru Kimoto

Post by Kru Kimoto »

Thank you I appreciate it I promise I’ll be sticking around
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

That’s great to hear Kru. As you peruse the site check out the membership listing. You’ll quickly realize the vast overwhelming numbers of folks who sign up and then do nothing.

Again, welcome aboard and looking forward to your efforts!

Mark Rowley
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Welcome, Kru. Positive points for registering with real name, before being nagged.

Forum searches can complement the very long FAQ bookshelf, and might bear fruit sooner.

Not at all necessary for sourcing "stainless steel hemispheres" (uh, LMGTFY).

But this forum can show you that 1/16 inch thickness would be plenty strong for an evacuated 6 inch sphere. Beware of free advice from the Internet. With or without forum, there are many online formulas and calculators for Strength of Materials problems like that.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I'll save any welcomes for the intro post. That said, the vacuum chamber is the least important part of a fusor; the complete vacuum system is its heart (the chamber is a minor part of that complete system.) Of late, a 50 mm or smaller diameter vacuum connector cross is the best fusor chamber for beginners. Besides being far easier to obtained (comapred to larger hemispheres), they are less expensive and offer ready ports for other vital components. But this you can reserach in the forum and this section yourself after your introduction post.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”